As we all know, Sunday was Father's day. It was also mine and Andy's 7th anniversary. It was also a very exhausting day that began at 4:00 a.m. with the weather radio going off for storm warnings. By 4:15 a.m., we lost power and Amelia immediately woke up crying. I went into her room and the tornado sirens started going off! Geeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzz, what a way to start the day! So after a quick diaper change and a lightning-fast milk fill up, we headed downstairs for a basement party.
Thankfully, the storm passed fairly quickly and we were able to go back upstairs by 5:00 a.m. I tried and tried to get Amelia back to sleep. I rocked.......and rocked.........and rocked........then I resorted to bringing her to our bed. Big mistake! This child absolutely will not even lay down in another bed besides hers. So at 6:30 a.m., I gave up and we went to the kitchen for some breakfast. Keep in mind the power was still out and the house was dark. Amelia came running down the hall, tripped, and busted her lip on the floor. No kidding...I can't make this stuff up! So I tried to calm her down and see how bad her lip was, only to not be able to see because it was so dark in our house!!! It was bleeding but not terribly bad. So after I bleached my white shirt to get rid of the blood stains, we attempted to eat breakfast, all the while, listening to the quiet hum, no I mean ear-splitting roar of our generator, which ran our sump pump and refrigerator until the power came back on around 11:00 a.m.
I learned a few things during this eventful morning. #1 - We rely way too much on power! #2 - It's quite obvious that Andy and I have been together for a long time (13 years, total) because we worked together to get things done in a semi-crisis pretty darn good if I do say so myself. #3 - After all this, I was way too tired to even think about celebrating our anniversary or Father's day!
We did have a lovely steak dinner on my mom and dad's deck and we are going to celebrate our anniversary this week with a dinner/movie date. Even though it was such a crazy day, I still had time to reflect on the day and it's meaning. To my dad, I want to say thank you for always being there for me and supporting me; for teaching me the importance of responsibility and taking care of things; for taking me and mom fishing when I was young (that must have taken TONS of patience!); and for re-introducing me to golf this year...I love our time together on the course!
To Andy, I want to say thank you for being an awesome daddy to Amelia. She loves her playtime with you and I love watching you spending time with her. You make parenting much easier!
And for our anniversary, here's one of my favorite wedding photos. Seven years have gone by quickly, especially now with Amelia. Here's to seven+infinity more years together. Love you, babe!


1 comment:
Great post....mom!
Post a Comment