
Two weeks ago, Amelia sneakily showed us a new trick. Not the kind of magic trick you'd wish to see from your child. It was the kind that makes you cringe. The kind that sends chills up your spine. The kind that makes a parent say, "Ugh, what next?" As you may have figured out from the pictures, Amelia climbed out of and fell from her crib. It was the middle of a rough night. I had done everything I could to comfort her (new diaper, orajel, tylenol, rocking, etc.) and nothing was working, so I decided to put her down and let her cry for a little while. She proceeded to scream like a little monster for about 15 minutes and then we heard a loud thud, followed by more screaming and crying. Like a flash of lightning, Andy and I dashed into her room, knowing we'd find her in the floor. Luckily, she was not hurt. This now meant that we could not leave her crying in her crib, so we took turns sitting with her or laying in the floor of her room until our savior arrived. At 16 months old...we were definitely NOT ready for a toddler bed! So I was off to the internet to find a crib tent I'd seen in a magazine. I had it overnighted so we could get back to normal (and get some sleep-did I mention that this was the fourth week of Amelia getting up anywhere from 2-6 times a night? We were ALL sleep deprived, but I guess that's what happens when SEVEN teeth are coming in all at once, FOUR of them being molars!) Sure enough, the tent arrived, and what do you know...the straps didn't fit over our crib. So it was another four days of long nights before we could get to the store and get some velcro additions to make it fit. I'm happy to report that Amelia is getting back to putting herself to sleep when she wakes up, now that we don't have to sprint in there everytime we hear her make a noise. Mommy and daddy are so grateful for the baby jail tent. Cruel or not, silly or not, crazy or not, we are getting better sleep, and that's all that matters!!!
2 comments:
A baby cave! Amelia looks like she's delighted. Reminds me of the supersize cardboard boxes that kids love to hide out in and will play with for weeks at a time. It's the mammal instinct in us--think kitty in shopping bag or doggie under the porch, or when you pull the blankets over your head! Ha!
Looks like Amelia likes her tent! I feel your pain. There is nothing scarier to hear that scream and find your child out of their crib. So glad things are settling back down for you guys...at least you are close to Christmas vacation! I can't believe she is getting ALL of her teething done at once. Poor kiddo. Hopefully if she is sleeping better that means they aren't bothering her so much.
Post a Comment