Look How Old I Am!

Lilypie

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Church


Finally, a shot that looks like mommy!

Clowning around before church


For the last 18 months, we have gone to church every weekend (missing a few here and there). And every weekend, I ask myself, "What is the purpose of going to church when I have no idea what's going on there?" Anyone who has a child knows what it's like trying to contain him/her for 45-60 minutes...or should I say, anyone who has a spirited, active child like mine. It is virtually impossible to concentrate on any prayers, readings, or homily at church when you are constantly trying to appease an 18 month old who just wants down to run around! I know that it is unfair for us to expect her to sit and be a "good little girl" every Sunday, but by the time we get home, we are exhausted from wrestling her! And if she is being "good", I've got my hand on her milk/snack/toy, ready to pull it out of her bag like a cowboy in a Western would have his hand on his gun, ready to pull it out of his holster! It is stressful, to say the least. Today, Amelia "read" every book we packed in her bag to everyone sitting around us. She's definitely learned all her animal names and sounds! Honestly, we would have quit going to church a long time ago if it weren't for my mom working with her many Sundays, including today. I've been asking myself if God will reward us for putting the effort forth by just showing up...because that's about all we're doing. Most of the time, we try to make it till communion, and then bail because Amelia's way beyond ready to go (as we did today). So my new mission is to get a NURSERY in our church! It is absolutely ridiculous that we don't have this option, like almost every other church around here does. I love our church and I love going together as a family, but something's gotta give!!!

2 comments:

JParm said...

I would have quit going a long about two and a half years ago if we didn't have a nursery! I can't believe no one at St. John's has brought this up before. I would certainly love it if there was one when we came to visit. I dread going to church when we are there, because I know my girls are going to be out of hand. We took them to Christmas mass, and as we were leaving I remember thinking I couldn't tell you one thing that had just happened (other than snacks, sippy cups, and going potty). I always enjoy listening to Father Trevor's homilies, too. It's a shame we have to miss out!

Amanda said...

I was going through your archive and came across this post. I completely agree with everything you said above. I feel very fortunate that so far Brynleigh has sat through mass and is pretty mellow, however the past few weeks it is beginning to become a struggle for us as well. Some, ok most Sundays I couldn't tell you what mass was even about. Let me know if you need any help with setting this up. You definately have my support.