Look How Old I Am!

Lilypie

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Happy Fall, Y'all

A few weekends ago, we went up to the square in Benton for a very enjoyable evening at the annual car show. We've gone in years past to see Andy's dad and his Corvair, but this was Amelia's first car show and the first time we went to see Grandpa Randy and his Challenger in a show. After church, we picked up some barbeque from Pop's and brought it to grandma and grandpa, who were already set up with chairs and cooler on the square at dad's car. After we ate, we walked around to see the hot rods, then I had a bright idea to go to the Buzz (a little sandwich/coffee/dessert/book shop on the square) to get everyone some dessert. They have many homemade cookies and desserts, but I found out they had Cheesecake Factory cheesecake. And what do you know? They actually had the flavor I always order...Dulce de Leche. C'est Magnifique!!! This cheesecake is To.Die.For. No exceptions! This was a little piece of heaven that I eagerly indulged in and made the whole night "sweeter"! The Odle men checking out the scene

Grandma and Amelia (still sporting the left-over black eye)


Grandpa Randy's car (you can see him in the background on the right)

The next weekend, was Old King Coal Festival. I swear, this used to be the biggest deal when we were growing up, but now, sadly as it seems is the trend in WF, it has dwindled down to just about nothing. Still yet, we showed up to initiate Amelia to the family tradition of going to the parade on Saturday and we briefly visited the fair, which consisted of a few rides, a few food booths, and that's about it. So I began to doubt all these fun-filled memories of going to the fair when I was younger. I asked my mom, "Was it really a big deal, or was it just because I was young that it seemed like a big deal?" to which she replied, "No, it was a big deal. The parade itself used to last 2.5-3 hours and hailed bands from all around the region." Seriously-I remember the bands. I even helped the judges when I was in junior high. It wasn't just a big deal, it was a huge deal. You know how many bands were in it this year? Two! Our junior high and high school bands. Sad, sad, sad. And what do you know...WF just happened to schedule it on the same weekend as M'boro's Apple Festival. Like, duh! Well, big deal or not, Amelia had fun just watching the cars drive down Main Street before the parade began. She actually seemed to like the fire engines at the beginning, that is, until one pulled right up in front of us and went "EEEEE-EEEEEE" with its siren. She did not like that, one bit! I think her favorite part was the Shriner's cars. She thought it was pretty funny when they would all turn in circles. As for my childhood memories, I'm hoping one day WF will build itself back up and the OKC festival will once again be a huge deal that Amelia will grow up loving just like we did.
Amelia's toy from the fair that G & G brought her

Ready for the parade



We almost made it through all the sirens at the beginning of the parade...well, ALMOST!

This weekend was another car show at the VF Mall, which Grandpa Randy entered. We went out for a little bit to visit and see the sights.

I forgot a hat, of course, so we ran into the mall to find one...all we found was a 6 month bonnet that went with an outfit, but hey, it worked!


Amelia found freedom in the nearby soccer fields



We've also been spending a lot of time playing outside as the weather is beginning to break. Amelia has really learned how to be gentle with Jenny, who is very grateful!


Amelia has also figured out how to go down her slide and she wants to do it over and over and over!

Yesterday I took Amelia outside and it was darn right chilly! We only stayed out 10 minutes because her little hands were like ice cubes! She didn't seem to mind one bit.


Amelia on the move-as usual!


Grandma ordered some fall decorations from the high school for Amelia's yard. She tries to say pumpkin, but it comes out as "buh". I'm not sure when she's going to start talking. She's still on the ma-ma/mum-mum kick right now, which is about to kill daddy!
More fall pics to come, but right now, we're out enjoying this 70 degree weather!

4 comments:

JParm said...

These pictures are so cute. Amelia is getting lots of new hair! So sad about the Old King Coal...I remember running around that fair for hours with you!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Mommy's got to get in some of these pics...she's always behind the camera!

JULIE said...

The pictures of Amelia in the purple hoodie are so funny. She looks very grown up! In some of these pictures she has an expression on her face kind of like Haley, I don't know why... she's definitely one of us! I remember the parade being very big, and also having a lot of fun riding the floats for Girl Scouts. At least there's still some tradition in West Frankfort; I think there's a light parade in the next city over, here, but my little city has nothing! Not even a high school! Imagine that in SoCal. I love seeing these blogs, I look at them on my cell phone but it's hard to type on my phone so I don't always comment. Keep it up! I will have to take some pictures one of these days to add to my blog!