Look How Old I Am!

Lilypie

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Apple Orchard

Today we went to Eckert's Apple Orchard in Belleville. I thought it was going to be the perfect day, weather-wise, to make the trip. It turned out to be a little chilly, windy, and overcast, but the sun eventually peeked out and warmed things up to about 60 degrees. This was our first trip with Amelia, and boy, was it packed! I think next year we'll show up about two hours earlier. I couldn't believe all the activities and entertainment they had for kids. This old tractor was so cool. Amelia obviously thought so as she readily grabbed hold of the wheel. She may turn out to be a farm girl yet!

Uncle Chris met us there for lunch and chased Amelia around-yay!


Amelia and daddy on the tractor ride to the orchard. She's in deep thought.

Still seriously thinking...


Now that's a mischievous grin if I've ever seen one!

Hmmm, back to some serious people watching and taking it all in.

This was the point where we lost all control. After being let loose in the orchard, Amelia did NOT want to be picked back up!!!

We wove in and out of the trees and ran up and down the rows.


I tried to get Amelia to pick one from the tree, but she was too interested in apples on the ground.

Love this picture. If only she'd hold my hand-that's a rarity!

Taking a bite

She'd pick one up and then carry it around for a long time, continually dropping it and simultaneously tripping over apples laying on the ground. It was pretty comical.

Biting another one

Daddy and Amelia

The only way we could get her out of the orchard was to steal away her apple and roll it down the row of trees, thereby getting her to chase it towards the end of the orchard! She would NOT let us pick her up. I'm talking, she brought out the "bucking bronco" if we even tried!

And of course, she made a friend in the pumpkin patch. She's such a people person!

It's the Great Pumpkin!!!
But seriously, we saw some huge ones up by the store. They were $40!


Awww, I love how she's giving me the "love pat" on the tractor ride back.

At home with her pumpkins


and one of her kitties. The cats are getting braver around her. One kitten layed in the grass and let Amelia pet it for awhile. She's very gentle with them, thank goodness!
We'll definitely make another trip to Eckert's. It's a one-stop must for this time of year. A fabulous new grocery store, garden center, restaurant, orchard, pumpkin patch, kids' entertainment area....what more could you ask for on a fall day in Southern Illinois?

3 comments:

Chris said...

That excursion looked like a very good time for all! Would liked to have been there :)

Anonymous said...

I'm sad that I was not there too. The weather and motorcycle did not cooperate!

JParm said...

These are so sweet! Amelia makes the perfect addition to your lawn decorations :)